Friday 13 June 2014

Prague

Well, this is going to be a brief post because I didn't actually do very much at all in Prague. There has been a bit of a heatwave in central Europe for the last week, and it was between 32-34c the whole time I was in Prague. For someone who is constantly cold when in the office, surprisingly I have come to the conclusion I actually detest hot weather - that is, if I have to do anything which requires more effort than lying down and eating ice cream. Consequently, my stay in Prague was flavoured with feelings of grouchiness and general lethargy.

I made it to the Mucha museum, which was a priority as I am a fan of the artist's work. And there were some beautiful pieces, so I would definitely recommend it.

On my second day I got up early to avoid the worst of the heat, walked up the hill to the castle, by which time it was far too hot. I decided I would rather not spend money on an entry ticket, because I would be too busy quietly melting in a corner to appreciate anything. So I struggled back down the hill, to a pleasant patch of greenery on Shooter's Island in the middle of the river, where I hid under the shade of the trees for more or less the rest of my stay.

Prague *is* very pretty, I will give it that. Had it been cooler, I would have been pleased enough just wandering through the little streets, exploring and getting happily lost. It's also very touristy, though, and there was a huge focus on the nightlife in my hostel; all anyone talked about was how much they drank the previous night, where they were going tonight and how much they were going to drink. I found it all rather childish, a bit tiresome, and a little bit alienating since it was clear I didn't really have anything in common with anyone there. So, as pretty as Prague was, I wasn't too disappointed when it was time to catch my train onto Vienna.





No comments:

Post a Comment