Friday 13 June 2014

Berlin

My next stop after Stockholm (with a stopover in Copenhagen again to break up the journey) was Berlin.

I don't really feel like any of my words can do this place justice. It was Just. So. Interesting. Just being in the city and coming face to face with the wall and seeing other parts of the city with its past, made everything hit home so much more. I feel like when I get home I need to go out and buy a load of history books, because I drank in everything the tour guide said; who, incidentally, was very good, and had a wealth of knowledge... She is writing a book on Berlin's history, so that gives you an idea just how much she knew about the city.

Despite receiving recommendations from friends for places to go, I didn't really see the culture and nightlife of the city; mostly because I was caught up in the history side, but also because I didn't meet up with any other travellers and don't like the idea of going out at night on my own. But that was fine, it was engrossing enough just to explore in the daytime and do some learnin's. And that at least means I have an excuse to go back some time soon!

Jewish Memorial


East Side Gallery - artwork on a remaining stretch of the Berlin Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment